CAE Exam – Advanced
An in-depth, high-level qualification that shows you have the language skills that employers and universities are looking for.
The advanced exam is set at Level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
A level of English for demanding study and work environments
The Cambridge Advanced certificate shows that a student has the language ability to carry out complex research, communicate effectively at a professional level – and stand out from the crowd.
Real-life English language skills
This Cambridge certificate offers proof of the English skills that education institutions and employers seek for high-achieving study and work situations.
There are four papers: Reading and Use of English, Writing, Listening and Speaking. For a full guide, see the green panel.
The Speaking exam uses a face-to-face test with two candidates and two assessors. This creates a more realistic and reliable measure of your ability to use English to communicate.
Choice and flexibility in taking the test
The exam can be taken in a choice of either paper-based or computer-based format; both versions lead to the same internationally accepted certificate.
Computer-based testing is ideal if you prefer using a keyboard and mouse to pencil and paper. Additional benefits include:
- more exam sessions: there are up to 33 dates a year when you can take your exam, giving you more flexibility
- shorter registration time: you can register for the exam as little as one week before taking it
- faster access to results: you can view your results online faster with a computer-based exam.
If you are successful in the exam you will receive two documents: a Statement of Results and a certificate. Colleges, universities and other organisations you apply to may ask you for either of these documents as proof of your English language skills.
CAE Statement of Results
Your CAE Statement of Results contains three pieces of information:
- Your candidate result based on your total score in all five papers;
- Your grade based on the total score you achieve. There are set scores for each grade;
- Your candidate profile, showing your performance in each paper against the scale:
The Central School of English is recognised by Cambridge English as an Exam Preparation Centre. Cambridge English, the world leader in English language assessment, is part of the University of Cambridge.
For more details on the Cambridge Advanced certificate, or to understand your results better, you can visit the CAE Exam page on the Cambridge English website.